My client, a hospital based in Dublin 11 are looking to hire a Medical Scientist to join their team.
To participate in providing a quality service to the department.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
In co-operation with the Chief Medical Scientist and the Laboratory Manager the post holder is expected to:
- Perform routine laboratory scientific work to the highest possible standard in accordance with the Laboratory Department’s policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Participate in the introduction of new ideas and methods according to Hospital policy.
- Participate as required in the registration, custody and stock level of the Laboratory reagents and other consumables.
- Receive and record details concerning non-conformances, complaints and defects in supplies and equipment, investigate the circumstances with the appropriate team members, take the necessary corrective action and report the findings in line with the Pathology Department’s Non Conformance System.
- Adhere to Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures on document control and retention of records.
- Participate in evaluating equipment, reagents and consumables.
- Assist relevant staff in ensuring compliance with ISO15189, International & National guidelines and standards for the provision of a clinical microbiology service and actively participate in internal quality control and external quality assessment.
- Adhere to all laboratory’s Standard Operating Procedures, Policies and Guidelines.
- Participate in the Hospital Performance Review and Development system in order that performance can be assessed and identify development needs.
- Participate in facilitating arrangements for educating and training staff
- Maintenance of CPD points in compliance with CORU requirements.
- Adhere to quality standards and ensuring a quality service is provided at all times.
- The post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post and to contribute to the development of the post whilst in office.
- Actively and positively support the Hospital in its quest to gain and maintain JCI and ISO15189 Standard Accreditation and any other best practice standards or guidelines that may apply to diagnostic laboratories.
- Perform tasks and duties in a manner that ensures compliance with relevant regulations including the Blood Directive 2002/98/EC and the Medical Devices Directives 93/42/EC and 98/79/EC, where applicable.
- Complete assigned actions, including those required in the close-out of non-conformances, change control and complaints, in a timely manner.
- Participate in ensuring that effective safety procedures are in place to comply with health and safety regulations, ensuring safe working practices and a safe working environment.
- Assist and co-operate with the Pathology Management Team in developing procedures to be followed in preventing and managing accidents occurring in the Laboratory area.
- Participate, as required, in developing the laboratory information system for the department.
As the service needs of the organisation change the above duties will be subject to change and flexibility will be required of the post holder.
BSc in Biomedical Science or equivalent.
Membership or eligibility for Membership/Fellowship of the Academy of Clinical Science and Laboratory Medicine (ACSLM).
- 5 years post graduate experience in a pathology laboratory
- To be a member or eligible for membership of the Academy of Clinical Science and Laboratory Medicine.
- To participates in on-going education
- Good interpersonal/people skills, ability to work on own initiative, problem solving skills, patience, diligence, honesty, excellent communication skills
- Ability to detect errors, follow procedures and troubleshoot.
- Understanding of accreditation systems
- Experience using a Laboratory Information Management System.
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Team Player
- Good Communication Skills
- Core competencies
- Prepare and analyse biological material
- Correlate, validate and interpret the results of investigations and cultures using clinical information
- Report and issue laboratory results
- Maintain documentation, equipment and stock
- Maintain and promote safe work practices
- Liaise with health workers and others to continuously improve the service
- Participate in the education and training of healthcare workers
- Participate in research and development activities
- Demonstrate continuing professional development
- Demonstrate professional accountability for Medical Scientists practice
- Knowledge and experience of working in a Clinical Chemistry laboratory.
- Working knowledge of Q-Pulse.
- Knowledge and experience of working in an ISO15189 accredited Medical Laboratory.
- Experience of working with iLab Laboratory Information System
If interested, please submit an application or contact [email protected]